The competition was fierce at the 2017 Texas ProStart Invitational Competition over the weekend at Cedar Ridge High School in Round Rock. Twelve teams advanced to the Texas ProStart Invitational State Finals March 24-25 at St. Philip’s College in San Antonio.
Approximately 25 Texas high schools with 35 teams competed. Produced by the Texas Restaurant Association Education Foundation, the event was the second of two regional competitions. Now, teams from the two competitions (Frisco and Round Rock) – (a total of 24 teams) will advance to the State Finals. The winners of that competition will head to represent Texas at the National ProStart Invitational, April 28-30 in Charleston, South Carolina.
All schools are part of Texas ProStart, an industry-based culinary arts and hospitality program and curriculum. Teams compete in restaurant management or culinary. The Texas ProStart Invitational is in its eighth year and is the largest ProStart program in the country.
Round Rock Winning teams:
1. Porter High School, Porter, TX
2. Glenda Dawson High School, Pearland, TX
3. Cleveland High School, Cleveland, TX
4. Waxahachie High School, Waxahachie, TX
5. Chapel Hill High School, Tyler, TX
6. Allen High School, Allen, TX
1. John Marshall High School, San Antonio, TX
2. Rockwall High School, Rockwall, TX
3. Miller Career & Technical Center, Katy, TX
4. Glenda Dawson High School, Pearland, TX
5. Round Rock High School, Round Rock, TX
6. Sam Rayburn High School,
Culinary teams demonstrate knife skills, and develop a three-course menu, which they prepare in 60 minutes. Judges evaluate teams on creativity, plate presentation, taste, professionalism, safety and sanitation.
Management teams must present a business proposal for a new restaurant concept that includes a defined concept, supporting menu and marketing plan. Teams prepare a written proposal and verbal presentation. They are tested on critical thinking skills by reacting to potential management challenges.
The 2017 Texas ProStart Invitational sponsors: Texas Beef Council, Ben E. Keith Foodservice, Revention, ECOLAB, Auto-Chlor, Les Dames d’Escoffier and BJ’s Restaurant.
Next Article ›